Thursday 21 June 2012

Working class stiff.

A coworker and I were chatting about life yesterday. It's purpose and the grand scheme of things.  He recited a story he'd heard and it summarized what many of us are missing in our struggle with the world around us and inevitably, with ourselves.

A fisherman was walking up the beach to his home one day when he passed a vacationer lounging in the sand. "Did you catch anything?" asked the vacationer.

"Just a couple from the shore" he replied.

"You should buy a boat" quipped the man in the bright floral shirt.

"Why should I do that?"asked the fisherman, pausing for a moment.

"So that you can catch more fish and sell them." he said, looking at the fishermans worn attire.

"...and why would I do that?"

He took a sip from his glass of rum,  "So that you can buy a fleet of boats and become wealthy."

"...and why do I need wealth?"

The vacationer huffed and laughed. "So that you can retire and live on the beach, of course!"

The fisherman simply smiled and continued walking down the beach to his home.

Sometimes the best solution is the simplest.

If you know who originally told this story, I'd appreciate hearing from you so that I can give credit where it's due.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. If you have something to share please feel free to post it.